Close Encounters of the Moose Kind

Sean and I went camping with our friends Dani and Cory this weekend. We got a bit if a late start though. We didn't get out until 5:30, then we stopped at a very yummy restaurant called Joe Banditos, which I highly recommend. We drove around for quite a while trying to find a good camping spot. Unfortunately the area was inundated by cows, so it was a no go! We drove for quite a while without finding a good camping spot. But we did get to see one of the most gorgeous sunsets ever while on our quest.At one point we got stuck on a very narrow mountain road with a hill to one side, a cliff to the other, and one very silly cow slowly leading the way.It was after ten o'clock before we finally found a campsite, and let me tell you, it is difficult to find a good campsite in the dark. It is also difficult to avoid stepping in all the cow patties laying around the campsite.... But we eventually got everything set up.

The next morning I woke up at 6:30 and since no one else was up I decided to go explore around the area. I hiked up this cool hill, when something caught the corner of my eye. It was a moose and he was running right towards the hill I was on!My first thought was "Ok, if it comes up here and starts running at me I can dive into the low branches on this pine and it should deter it." My next thought was, "I had better circle around this tree so I can get a good picture!" I circled around the tree and there it was! It was huge! The moose stopped running and looked at me, and I looked at it. Then I realized I was pretty far from my tree refuge so I turned and scampered closer to the tree. When I turned back around the moose gave me one last glance and left. I played a little game of chicken with that moose and it totally won.I went out the next morning to see if I could run into anything cooler than a moose (like a bear), but the only thing I saw the next morning was a goofy cow that wandered into our camp and felt the need to moo...a lot.

At one point in our trip Dani and I were walking across a tiny stream and all of the sudden Dani got sucked down to her knees in mud! She almost lost her shoes! Dani refused to do a enactment so I could record it, so this pic was the best I could do. We had one of the best treats ever on this camping trip: biscuits on a stick. They are so good. All you need is doweling, biscuits (Preferably not the kind with butter in it), and a fire. They are so good! That and roasted starburst.

Oh, and here's one last awesome pic I took on our trip.

1 Response to "Close Encounters of the Moose Kind"

  1. Brent Johansen Says:

    Great pictures and story. I don't know if your blog stays forever, but if it doesn't, you need to copy it to something permanent so you have it as a journal. Thanks for sharing your life, your thoughts and your humor. I think I would have been a bit scared of a moose. I wish I could have gone camping with you. Thanks

Post a Comment